One was Tona and the other was Tuni. Tona Tuni lives in their small house on the tree. This is how we tell stories. But when to tell a story with a picture? It depends on how much we want to tell the story, how we want to tell it, or who the picture should be. Which brings out the fullness of a picture. But when a story is to be fully expressed through a few pictures, it is called a "photo story". However, in this case, each picture is said in a single way and in a combined way. Many people have defined photo story in many ways. But without explaining that, I want to tell you what you need to pay attention to in creating a "picture story". In other words, you can tell a story through any kind of picture. In this context, it is better to say that those who take some good pictures and then try to write a story and firmly believe that this is possible in a photo story, even if they do not wear this writing. This article is for those who want to know how to build a photo story. Again, it would be wrong to think that I am a sage. I am telling you in my own language what I have learned from him with his permission.
When you look at a picture, some questions come to mind, those are the questions you learned in childhood
‘Photo Story’ is when each picture answers all these questions as well as all the pictures of the story in a collective way that can explain the whole story to the viewers. Now comes the question "How can I select and sort a picture in a photo story?" You can be satisfied with the photo story. I am satisfied with my first photo story. While doing that photo story I learned how to do it. However, I have used the photo story of my dear younger brother "Rakib Mahmud" and not the photo story. The "photo story" requires first of all a "story" that you want to tell through your photo. In this case, you can't write a novel to tell a story. It has to be like Rabindranath Tagore's short story "Even if it ends, it doesn't end". A story through which you will also give your opinion on the continuity of the story. In such a way that its rush can make an impression on the mind of the viewer. I think a little to go home.
Example: Rakib told the story like this: “Lutfar Rahman is about 70 years old. Father of one son and two daughters. His ancestral home is in Noakhali and now he lives in Khulna. Khulna Newspaper Mill started its first work. He lost his job in 2002 after the mill closed due to political reasons. Has been employed as a launcher since 2002. Now he is engaged in oil supply in the Chittagong zone. The boy is working as a chemist at CUFL in Chittagong. One girl is in Inter 1st year and the youngest girl is in 6th class. He came back from home every two months. Hardworking This man likes to work hard. So despite the boy's prohibition, he kept himself busy. Therefore, if you stay at home, there is a possibility of getting infected with various diseases. Now all his things are in the river. He wants to spend his life in the small dirt of the launch and spend the rest of his life floating in the river clearly and simply. Readers will notice that some things have been emphasized in writing the story. The subject's identity is current status and personality. The future is uncertain, but he has not lost his composure. This should be the main story writing element of a photo story. Now let's come to the context of photography and the 6 themes that should be in a "Photo Story".
Continuity also applies to image sorting.
1. Introductory or Overall: It can also be called an introductory picture. In this case, the picture has to be detailed. A picture that gives you a full idea of your subject and its surroundings.
Photo - 1: courtesy: Md Asaf Ud Daula, Story: Rain-drenched boy was voted the winner
In this photo, the main man of the story is portrayed in his own environment and his identity is revealed. This is the first time you have met this man. Your interest is to know about him.
2. Medium: In this case, pictures of some of the subject's own or relevant activities. Here he is doing something. If you notice, you can see that he is cutting curry. Here we do not yet see the identity aspect of the subject. But interest is growing for the next step in the film. This is the strategy of capturing the viewers in the photo story.
Picture-2: courtesy: Azim Ronnie
3. Close-up: Close up shot taken on a specific part of the subject. For example, if you choose a footballer as your subject, this picture of yours may be a close up of football with his feet. Or pictures matching the content with its environment. Here the man in the picture is praying or Someone reading books. This is the roof of a launch. Thus gradually the stage of the man's identity began.
Picture-3: courtesy: Mou Aysha
4. Portrait: In this case, the subject has a tight headshot or a picture of a special moment in his environment. For the first time in this film, we got to know Mr. Lutfar Rahman directly.
Picture-4 courtesy: Mou Aysha
5. Interaction: A picture of the subject and the position of all the people in his environment. If your subject is a man, it could be a picture of him talking to the people next to him or any other work, or if your subject is a tree, it could be a picture of a man sitting under that tree. Notice in this film a new Sabyasachi aspect of him but we see. At the same time, while taking a bath, he is talking to someone.
Picture-5: courtesy: Mou Aysha
6. Signature (The Decisive Moment): This picture is the main thing you want to say in the story of your picture. At this stage, a picture will be the lifeblood of your story. Here he is alone but self-sufficient. As is his real personality.
Picture-6: courtesy: Mou Aysha
7. Sequence: In this step, a few pictures to maintain the continuity of the beginning, middle, and end of the photo story. In these pictures, we get an idea about some of the subject's own activities as well as his surroundings.
Picture-7: courtesy: pronobghoshphoto
8. Clincher: This photo will end your photo story. The story will depend on how you want the ending. This does not mean that he is going up or down, but that his life is going on like this. Even after the end, something seemed to remain.
Picture-8: courtesy: pronobghoshphoto
A photo story can be easily arranged with the above-discussed topics. But still, it is not a very simple matter. As an example, the story of the given picture will show that a picture contains all the basic elements of photography. But you have to give a lot of time to each step, you have to know the subject in a very deep way. And you need to know about it (if the subject is human) or if you have food. The more information you get, the more you will see the content in a new light. If you start sorting out the story by taking some pictures, then your photo story will be the victim of a lot of misinformation. Which is contrary to ethics as a photographer.
If a photo story is created with awareness and patience over time, it will be very strong as a photo story.
Those who are interested in photo story will do it for a long time. Happy clicking.